Wednesday, 18 June 2008

Stealing my taxes

I am on the train into London. The guy opposite me has his badge round his neck already. He works for the NHS and his title is "Business Manager". I can't see the badge of the person opposite him but they are clearly colleagues and I bet she also is some form of "business manager".

The NHS is not a business. It is a service. Its employees have the vocation of helping the nation to stay healthy, and therefore to enable people to live well and business to run.

Maybe that's why they have business managers - is that a new name for doctor? I doubt it.

We recently moved and I was summoned to an NHS health check. Great! Kick the tyres and change the oil type of thing. Never know what they might find.

Actually it's pretty easy to know what they might find: nothing. Why? because the only actual examination the nurse (not doctor) did was to take my blood pressure, which I can do at home with a kit. She asked me if I had brought a urine sample. Sure, I put that in a coffee cup here it is. No listening to the heart, lungs, no looking in the throat, ears, no asking you to cough and not a latex glove in sight!

Tick the box. New person, new healthcheck. This is stealing my taxes. The fortune that I pay to the useless system that employs business managers instead of nurses, is a waste.

I want out. The only way out however is straight through the middle. I hereby vow to make so much money that I don't care about the NHS or any other state organization that wastes my money, my time and my energy.

No comments: